Update: March 8, 2006

 

 

 

GGT Toll Plaza Bus Stop Improvements Update

 

On Thursday, March 9, 2006, Golden Gate Transit (GGT) buses begin serving the new southbound bus stop location on the west side of the toll plaza. A temporary shelter is in place until the fabrication of a permanent one is completed in about eight weeks. Removal of the existing bus shelter and bus stop on March 9 as well.

Work has begun on the GGT northbound 101 bus stop on the east side of the toll plaza. The first phase of work will be completed on March 21, depending on weather. The reconfiguration of the two Muni stops in the East Parking lot is nearing completion and the new stops are now being served.

 

Additional Background

In early 2005, the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District (District) conducted an evaluation of the design and location of the GGT and Muni bus stops and pedestrian crosswalks within the right of way near the Golden Gate Bridge with respect to public safety, convenience and accessibility. The southbound GGT bus stop, located about 230 feet south of the toll plaza, will be relocated to a location adjacent to the Admin. Building that will be safer for both bus riders and pedestrians alike. Two pedestrian crosswalks will also be relocated and enhancements made to the three Muni bus stops as well (see diagram below).

With a total project budget of $1.2 million, construction will be done in several phases. The $1.2 million project is being funded with 83% of funds coming from the Federal Transit Administration and the remaining 17% from District toll dollars.

New Toll Plaza Bus Shelter

Site Plans of New Southbound Toll Plaza Bus Stop

Toll Plaza Bus Stop

To see more detail schematics of work that is planned, you may view this PowerPoint presentation (10MB file - high-speed Internet connection recommended).